[OSM-talk] advertising

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Mon Jul 2 17:30:57 BST 2007

On 2 Jul 2007, at 17:15, Christoph Eckert wrote:

>> People seem to be fixating on the point that
>> because the Foundation is registered in the UK then it's a UK
>> organization
>
> that might be a point, but I guess this issue can be communicated.

I detect low hope levels!

> Currently OSMF *appears* to be an elitary closed british club, even
> that
> it *intends the opposite*. Examples:

Yes, you need to have studied at Oxford or Cambridge and know the
funny handshake. Sad, but true.

> * It's impossible to get an account on our servers for external
> developers. This should IMO be decided by the project's developers,
> not
> by the board members. Set up a web form for one or two weeks, post an
> announcement on the dev list and let the developers vote. If the board
> votes, it is obvious that OSMF tries to control the project's further
> development, sorry

This is utter badly informed bullshit. Ages ago I set Nick Hill up as
the sysadmin as he had the time and was willing to do the work,
lately he's been busy and we're working around that. jburgess had
done some work with the tile system so we handed him that machine as
he had the time and inclination to do the work. TomH had been doing
some great stuff with the rails port and so we (nay, me!) gave him
the www server and he's done fantastic work there. We're about to
give dev to ojw if he wants it.

Now I'm sorry if they are all elite british funny-handshakers but
they do the fucking work. If you'd stop whinging about your hope
levels or perceived failings of everybody apart from yourself and do
something we'd happily give you responsibilities too.

The only OSMF board member who decides who gets server acounts is me.
Nick Hill isn't on the board. OSMF doesn't have a control room where
we're controlling the projects further development. We didn't design
t at h, or josm, or mapnik, or pay for jburgess or TomHs time to work
exactly how we tell them to. There is no conspiracy. Really.

> * The appearance of the project's main page should also decided by
> a web
> form and public vote. Someone will design or create suggestions, then
> let the community decide. Ads on the map is a very sensitive topic,
> thus it must not be decided by board members only

Yes some things can be decided by vote, but not where it errs in to
being designed by committee.

> * The database doesn't get replicated to balance the server load.
> Additionally it would allow other people to do nasty things with the
> project's data, *and* it would be a testimonial that OSMF does *not*
> want to control the data. A weekly planet file dump is not sufficient.
> Unfortunately, a server replication has been denied this spring :(

You idiot. We don't replicate it internally because we don't have
another HA server. Go fund raise for one and stop complaining. I'm
not sorry you think the planet is insufficient. I bet you can't come
up with an actual use-case that needs a dump of the db that has more
users than just you.

> * [you name it]

* Christoph Eckert taking several peoples valuable time spreading low
hope levels and FUD.

* data model debates

* license debates

* postgres debates

> It would be cool if OSMF would actively develop further ideas how to
> avoid the impression mentioned above.

Dear god it would be impossible for YOU to do something wouldn't it?
Other than moan that is. It's impossible! You have 1,000 other things
to do! It would never get anywhere. The british are in a conspiracy
against you! And everyone else! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggghhhh! But not
to worry - another long email will fix things!

have fun,