[OSM-talk] Compromising our neutrality by advertising on the map

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:45:19 BST 2007

I have been thinking about the advertising on the map and why it
bothered me so much. I realized that by accepting advertising on the
map (or really even the site), we compromise our neutrality as a
mapping provider. Maps, like encyclopedias, are largely expected to be
free of commercial interests in the data they provide. Can you imagine
if Navteq decided to advertise over the TeleAtlas HQ with a "Better
maps at Navteq" or simply not mapped them at all?

Given that, I think we should remove the advertising from the map and
I seriously question whether or not we should advertise on the site at
all. I also reject the argument that those who oppose advertisements
*must* immediately find other means of advertising. I suggest we look
at Wikipedia, wherein even the talk of advertising prompted the
Spanish users to fork  and has been run for 6 years without any
advertising at all. I honestly suspect we would have an easier time of
finding sponsors than they do.

Finally, please keep the tone civil on this list. One of the reasons I
use Ubuntu as my primary OS is it's Code of Conduct. Lack of such
codes have led to serious strife in Gentoo and Debian. Is it time for
us to adopt such a code? (BTW, I sit on the Ubuntu Community Council,
which governs the Ubuntu community, including adjudicating CoC
infractions)

Cheers,

Corey