[OSM-talk] [Fwd: [Geowanking] Geographic Search Patented]

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:20:08 BST 2007

On 7/3/07, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org> wrote:
> here it is, the biggest WTF ever :
> Abstract:
> A local search engine geographically indexes information for searching
> by identifying a geocoded web page of a web site and identifying at
> least one geocodable web page of the web site. The system identifies a
> geocode contained within content of the geocoded web page of the web
> site. The geocode indicates a physical location of an entity
> associated with the web site.

What they appear to be doing is scanning the web for addresses and
automatically geocoding them. I must admit I hadn't seen that before
(has anybody else?).

Remember, the patent is for the entire process, you don't infringe
just by doing some little part of it (disclaimer: I havn't read the
actual claims, remember the abstract is often misleading).

Doesn't make it any less lame though.

Have a nice day,