[OSM-talk] Announcing Historic Coverage Tool

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 4 07:49:29 BST 2007

Hi,

    it took me a bit longer than expected but here's my tool for
creating historic OSM coverage animations:

http://openstreetmap.gryph.de/history/

It generates animated GIF images of (almost) any area and size, and you
can specify a date range and how many planet files you want it to use.
It paints dots (or filled rectangles/circles) for each node; you can
have a landsat or vmap0 background or an empty one if you prefer.

Since creation of these images takes some time (around 5 minutes if you
request all of Europe), the service uses a queue mechanism, i.e. you
tell it what you want and come back later to see the results. All
results are visible to all visitors.

The request form is a bit cluttered but I trust you will find it useful.
It is not really intended for the "end user" (why would they be
interested in what data OSM had half a year ago), rather for the
individual mapper(s) who want to see the progress they've made over time.

Some examples are already up on the site.

Enjoy,
Frederik