[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Wed Jul 4 15:22:42 BST 2007

OSM Founder makes another unilateral decision...

http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=223

AND donate entire Netherlands to OpenStreetMap
Automotive Navigation Data (AND) is a leading provider of location,
routing, mapping and address management are donating a street network
of the entire Netherlands. Yes, an entire country.

This is basically phenomenal.

We’ll have our first country complete from this data, which AND and
I want to work with the community to import. This is not least
because fantastic work has already been done in Amsterdam and
elsewhere by the Digital Pioneers supported openstreetmap netherlands
community. AND will be at the State of the Map, and you should be
too
Here’s the press release:

AND and OpenStreetMap join forces to create digital maps
Rotterdam - AND Automotive Navigation Data has agreed with the
OpenStreetMap Foundation to donate digital maps of the Netherlands,
China and India to the OpenStreetMap community. The aim is to create
the most up-to-date map in the market. With this partnership AND
recognizes the power of a community and the Web 2.0 developments.

OpenStreetMap gives the community the opportunity to create maps with
up-to-date geo-data and shows the results immediately. Pure community
collaboration at its best. “Overall we want to enable users of
mapping data to also be contributors, from reporting errors to doing
full surveys.” According to Steve Coast, one of the founders of the
OpenStreetMap project.

“It is known that a small percentage of a map is not representing
the present situation. With the help of the community AND aims to
close this gap and be able to a deliver a map that is 100 %
correct.” According to Maarten Oldenhof, CEO AND Automotive
Navigation Data.

According to Wikipedia Web 2.0 refers to “a perceived second
generation of web-based communities and hosted services - such as
social-networking sites, wikis and folksonomies - which facilitate
collaboration and sharing between users.” AND is busy today with the
process of bringing maps online with the possibility of online user
generated updating. “We think Web 2.0 will be the ultimate tool for
map updates. With this partnership we work with the people that have
a keen insight into how a community works around maps” according to
Maarten Oldenhof.

Initially, AND will make its street level data of the Netherlands and
the major road networks of China and India available to the
OpenStreetMap community. “We are very happy with the map donation of
AND. With this additional map data we hope to create a bigger mapping
community and be able to cover more and more areas” according to
Steve Coast.