[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 4 15:45:30 BST 2007

Hi Steve,

>> The article speaks of the OSM *foundation* not the *founder* but
>> well, who's to say what the difference is ;-)
>
> Even in the most positive of stories, you find a way through...
> c'mon - it's GOOD news.

I was just poking at you for introducing the news with "unliateral
decision of the founder". It was you who chose to link this to other
quarrels we have, not me ;-)

I read the rest of the message with mixed feelings. A full road
network for the US has been available for ages and we haven't been
able to import it properly yet; we haven't even talked a lot about
it, the TIGER import has always been a niche thing that few people
were very excited about. Why then should I get all excited about data
from the Netherlands? I'll praise it when I see it in the database.

Getting a commercial mapping provider to make data publicly available
- wheter it ends up in OSM or not - is, however, a commendable
achievement in any case, no doubt about that, and a valuable
political signal that others might heed.

Bye
Frederik