[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands toOSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 5 10:43:20 BST 2007

Hi,

> Yeah, but marketing's usually a pejorative word in a crowd of geeks,
> and actually it's the good thing about OSM.

Well. Yes and no. I don't feel that marketing actually improves the
community. Do people here really need to be told things like "hey,
we're all great, this rocks, the project is cool, we'll be taking
over the world, stay tuned, watch this, this is going to take off
like crazy"? Is *this* what makes the community work? I don't think
so. You can use that vis-a-vis people who are not yet addicted, but
all of us know perfectly well how cool exactly the project is (and
where, as a German saying goes, the dead dogs are buried). We all
have made an informed decision to be with the project, to read these
lists, and so on. We are here because we think (or feel) that the
project is cool, or at least that the cool aspects outweigh those
that suck. Not because we need our weekly fix of backslapping.

Bye
Frederik