[OSM-talk] Data Model, Relationships, AND

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 6 20:09:44 BST 2007

Hi,

    some people have used the opportunity of AND CC'ing their data to
point out, rather smugly, that AND use a similar data model to ours -
implicating that ours can't be the problem that I and other advocates of
more complexity view it to be.

I'm eager to see how AND model house numbers, turn restrictions,
multiple ways on one bridge, and so on, and I will no doubt have a very
good look at these things once they're released.

But one thing is clear even now: You can pretty much tolerate anything
if you operate in a closed environment, where data is either static or
edited only by one and the same in-house proprietary software.

For example, the often-voiced idea of simply linking objects by having
tags pointing to other objects' ids (e.g. "key=no-turn-into,
value=segment-id-217237234" or so) would work perfectly if we wouldn't
have to fear that someone, by moving, inserting, or replacing segments,
breaks this connection or multiplies it and creates an invalid link. But
since we're open, anyone can access the API with any tools he or she
wants, and that's why we can't do that - we can never ensure that all
editors comply to some unwritten rules as long as these are not enforced
by the API.

I'm just writing this so that people do not make the mistake of assuming
that anything which is sufficient for a closed, proprietary data set
used by one company is also good for a Wiki-like world which we're building.

I would have thought that's obvious but obviously not to everyone ,-)

Bye
Frederik