[OSM-talk] advertising

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 03:09:03 BST 2007

On 7/6/07, Nick Black <nickblack1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/6/07, Andreas Putzo <lists at putzo.net> wrote:

> > > They are there at the moment. It appears a bit flaky though, sometimes
> > > they don't appear to work for a while.
> > >
> > > If there are enough people that don't like the ads perhaps we could
> > > pool funds and donate enough money to replace the funds the ads are
> > > expected to generate. Surely with an alternative source for the money
> > > the ads would be removed.
> >
> > I think the discussion the last few days already have shown that
> > at least many people don't like these ads.
>
> I think as many people have voiced their appoval of Mappam ads - its
> just that they haven't threatened extreme measures if the ads are
> removed.  Thats the beauty of mob rule - it doesnt rely on rational
> metrics.

While I personally don't like ads, this isn't the main reason why I
have and will continue to oppose them. As this little episode shows, I
think the major problem with them is basically social. It is utterly
ridiculous to rip apart our community over something so trivial and
there are plenty of other solutions for money, it is just that they
involve more work (admittedly a problem)

Corey