[OSM-talk] Square

Jonas Svensson jonass at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jul 8 11:25:46 BST 2007

On 8 Jul 2007 at 11:32, Christoph Eckert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I can't find anything in map features about a (town) square and
> > can't remember what has been said about it earlier. Any suggestions
> > on how to tag such a place? amenity=square or place=square maybe?
>
> seems there's no common sense yet how to tag it:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Plaza

Looking at that, neither Plaza nor Area=yes feels right but I may
consider using area=yes until a better key is found. Before I read
the wiki I though plaza would have been a good description but now
I an not sure.

The areas I am looking for has a long history and is sometimes used
as markets (like a place for farmers from outside of town to sell
stuff), parking, outdoor performance, or a plain meeting (both
informal and formal) place. There are no buildings but possibly
some monument or statue. Sometimes cars are allowed partly, but
mostly not. The area is sealed or paved or such, possibly a few
trees but mostly not much green. They usually have a name, although
in smaller cities in Sweden where there might be only one it often
is just called the grand square (Stortorget).

Trädgårdstorget looks like this
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=sv&geocode=&q=link%C3%B6ping&ie=
UTF8&ll=58.409584,15.62456&spn=0.001242,0.005021&t=k&z=18&iwloc=addr
&om=1> and Stortorget looks like this
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=sv&geocode=&q=link%C3%B6ping&ie=
UTF8&ll=58.410761,15.621888&spn=0.001242,0.005021&t=k&z=18&iwloc=add
r&om=1> where the latter has a street dividing it in two parts. In
the photo there is a bus and beside it is a statue/fountain.

/Jonas