[OSM-talk] historic=monument - is photo ok?

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 18:55:07 BST 2007

On 08/07/07, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:

> Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > As someone already started it for the highway topic, I've added example
> > and photo columns for all topics of the map features page - IMHO after
> > being filled with examples and photos, most of the newbie questions will
> > be answered much more easily that way.
>
> Thanks for the work on that page. But I object to adding photos to the
> features. The list is long enough as it is and it becomes way longer if
> you add photos (although they are small) to it. I rather have a crisp
> overview page and more detailed information on dedicated pages.

The list is only going to get longer. It's getting to the point where
it needs splitting.
There's probably a need for several types of pages:
 - Map Features - overview reference, linking to detail pages based on
types of features -- pretty much based on the current sections
 - Key type pages giving what's currently shown
 - A tag index, listing all possible tags -- more of a reverse lookup.

I'm actually thinking that maybe this is getting all too much for a
free form wiki and there needs to be some form of tag database with a
much more customisable interface. That way you could have the view the
way you like it, and we can have the pictures for newbies, or me!
Obviously it'd still need to be wiki-like so as not to limit who can
create tags etc. But then that's a pipe-dream for another day...