[OSM-talk] military map features?!? some clarifications please ; -)

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 00:23:21 BST 2007

On 7/8/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The military topic of
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Military is
> completely uncommented, and I have a hard time to understand the tags.
>

> What comes to my mind:
>
> airfield: could this be a complete airport, or is this only smaller
> (often only a grass) place where planes start and land?

I would remove this tag is preference to the aeroway one. Maybe add a
tag to the aeroway one saying aeroway owner=military or somethign
similar?

> bunker: buildings, often build from concrete, to stand even heavier fire
> (what about abandoned bunkers, e.g. here in germany there are a lot of
> WW II bunkers now with a completely different purpose - maybe we need
> historic=bunker in addition?)

we could add abandoned=yes

> barracks: fenced areas where soldiers live, sleep, maintain weapons, ...
> (or are only the buildings meant?)

Barracks usually, at least in Canada, to just the buildings.

> danger_area: ?!?

This is usually a large marked area around something like a firing
range, bombing range, etc which is an exclusion zone.

> range: ?!? (is this where soldiers have practice with their weapons?)

Yes. There are several types, including firing, bombing, artillery,
demolitions.

Does that help you out?

Corey