[OSM-talk] I've removed segments from the map features wiki page

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Jul 9 15:23:37 BST 2007

On 09/07/2007 15:00, Matthias Julius wrote:
>> Ok, but how renderers, editors and other softwares may recombine them?
>
> Unfortunately, they don't.  That is the problem that superways or
> advanced relationships are supposed to solve.

I think Mapnik does. At least the way the names are rendered once when
there are multiple pieces suggests that to me. Artem? Certainly it is
not to hard to see how an algorithm would do that, though for osmarender
it is harder because it is rule based.

>> Suppose i have a very long motorways, i may split them in a big number of ways
>> to tag the varying number of lanes.
>
> ... and bridges, tunnels, speed limits, whatever ...

and just to make them manageable. Generally people have replied 'a few
km at most' for continuous ways. But as the map gets more complete, I
think it would be rare for a bridge or something not to intervene more
often than that.

David