[OSM-talk] Square

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon Jul 9 20:17:06 BST 2007

Jonas Svensson wrote:
> On 8 Jul 2007 at 11:32, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I can't find anything in map features about a (town) square and
>>> can't remember what has been said about it earlier. Any suggestions
>>> on how to tag such a place? amenity=square or place=square maybe?
>> seems there's no common sense yet how to tag it:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Plaza
>
> Looking at that, neither Plaza nor Area=yes feels right but I may
> consider using area=yes until a better key is found.

I believe area is not the right tag for that; reading the description
for it, it looks like a car turnaround space at the end of a cul-de-sac.

> The areas I am looking for has a long history and is sometimes used
> as markets (like a place for farmers from outside of town to sell
> stuff), parking, outdoor performance, or a plain meeting (both
> informal and formal) place. There are no buildings but possibly
> some monument or statue. Sometimes cars are allowed partly, but
> mostly not. The area is sealed or paved or such, possibly a few
> trees but mostly not much green. They usually have a name, although
> in smaller cities in Sweden where there might be only one it often
> is just called the grand square (Stortorget).

sounds like what I would think of as a plaza.  If someone could add some
detail to the plaza proposed feature page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Plaza ) that
would be wonderful.  It's currently all discussion, not even a proposal
as such.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"