[OSM-talk] Square

David thewinch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:12:16 BST 2007

On 7/9/07, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:
> That's what it had originally been proposed for. But as you see the
> comments indicate that this is really much for flexible and can be used
> for squares/plazas etc in general. You could have a pedestrian area...
> or whatnot using area=yes.

I thought area=yes was just a generic way of allowing all current
linear features to also be areas. The tag is needed because areas are
closed ways not a separate data privative. With out the area tag it's
not really possible to determine if a closed way tagged with
highway=residential is an area or just a circular street.

I would think a square is always going to be an area and never linear
so area=yes is not needed to clarify. Just create an appropriate
key/value that applies to node/area and use it. As with leisure=park,
amenity=parking and so on.

We just need to come up with an appropriate key/value to use.

--
David