[OSM-talk] no replay-to header at talk

Matthew Newton matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 18:11:03 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:00:10PM +0200, Raphael Studer wrote:
> I've noticed that on the talk at osm there is no replay-to field in the
> header, if an email is sent to the list.
> On the german list (talk-de at osm) there is such a field.
> I would be happy if it could be added on the talk list also.

This request surfaces every now and then and, sorry, no, it's not
going to change. There are several reasons, not including that many
people on the list don't want it changed; someone has already
pointed to a good document listing most of them.

Two things to think about:

  The list changing the Reply-to header messes things up for users
  who specifically set a reply-to in their own mail because they
  want replies to go to a different address. Reply-to is an
  Originator Field as specified by RFC2822, and as such should not be
  touched by intermediate systems.

  Your mail client* should have (at least) two options: "reply" and
  "reply to all". It may even have "reply to list". If it doesn't
  have these then get a new mail client. ;-)

Thanks,

--
Matthew
(current custodian of osm-talk)

* You seem to be using gmail which does have a reply-to-all option.