[OSM-talk] map features: shop items look strange andsupermarketshouldalso be moved here?!?

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Wed Jul 11 01:35:07 BST 2007

Corey Burger wrote:

> Both refer to pretty much any store you can walk into and is used from
> frequently in North America, as where as shop is a more UK-specific
> term. The other issue is that shop is both a noun and a verb, as where
> as retail can only be a noun.

I would say retail usually is used as an adjective, such as retail outlet,
retail store, or retail shop.

It can also be an verb.  To shop is a verb to buy, to retail is a verb to
sell to an end consumer.

It is rarely used as a noun.

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> But repair shops don't necessary do retail, do they?
> I'm not a native English speaker, but the Swedish translation of
> retail suggests a business that buys things and resells them.
> I'm not sure if carwash counts as that.  Are bank offices included
> in "retail"?

Banks, carwashes and other sellers of services aren't usually called shops.

This discussion also took place as part of the discussion for new TLD's.
The conclusion of that discussion was that "shop" is the clearest and most
international way to describe a retailer (not without dissent of course!).

Ian.