[OSM-talk] Survey: How to pay the OSM bill

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Wed Jul 11 16:27:06 BST 2007

Quoting Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>:

>> The main way I can see the foundation making enough money to employ
>> people would be to sell the data for commercial use, but still allow it
>> to be used for non-commercial use for free
>
> I really don't like the sound of anything which proposes restrictions of
> this sort on the use of the data,

Yes it goes against the whole idea of an "open" map.

Dual licencing is not a good idea. It decreases the cash value of the
commercial offering and the contribution value of the open offering.

If a company is interested in the data they may pay for services. Data
conversion and integration for example.

- Rob.