[OSM-talk] Mysterious straight line from UK to Italy

A Morris aledmorris2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:20:26 BST 2007

>   Has anybody else noticed the apparent road from the UK to Italy (and
> possibly beyond)?
>

> It's visible in Mapnik, but not Osmarender on the slippy map, for instance
> at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.109927563435576&lon=0.40328422612815074&zoom=10where you can see it going from NW to SE. No such data is visible in JOSM,
> so it appears to be an artefact in Mapnik.

Erm. That might be me... sorry about that :-) Got my eastings and northings
mixed up whilst getting map projections working in josm. I patched it up
pretty quickly but the planet dump seems to have caught it.

For anyone who cares, I moved some nodes very slightly, then wrote them back
with lat/long instead of long/lat. Thus, some segments going from (-0.2, 51)
to (51, -0.2) or something.

Getting eastings and northings the right way for arbitrary projections is
actually a bit of a pain...

Aled