[OSM-talk] Private roads

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Thu Jul 12 09:35:10 BST 2007

On Thursday 12 Jul 2007 01:08, Chris Fleming wrote:
> Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
> >
> > Ben Companjen schrieb:
> >> I've a different question, how can private roads be tracked?
> >
> > access=private
>
> We should also render private roads differently somehow, to indicate
> that public access isn't available.
>
> In some cases a service road will still have public access; for example
> a road leading to parking, or an access road to a tourist attraction.
>
> Cheers
> Chris

One option would be not to render private roads at all, so a user can be
presented with a map of routes they know they can go along (useful in the
countryside), though having said that, I guess they would be useful for
navigation.

Can Mapnik render one way on top of another? One option for service roads with
public access would be to show a service road underneath and a footway on
top, much as Ordnance Survey and others do.

Nick