[OSM-talk] NCN refs - consistency

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 10:22:54 BST 2007

On 12/07/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/2007 09:21, Andy Allan wrote:
> >> Can we please *not* invent a new tag for every possible source of
> >> routes. In the netherlands that are dozens of organisations that make
> >> cycling routes and we're certainly not proposing adding a new tag for
> >> each.
> >>
> >> We need something like:
> >>
> >> cycle_route=foo;bar;baz
> >> bar:ref=A110
> >> bar:name=Bloemenroute
> >> baz:ref=A111
> >> baz:grade=5
> >
> > Umm, I don't understand. Isn't baz:ref a new tag? How is that any
> > different from what we're proposing with rcn_ref?
> >
> > Andy
>
> The point is that, yes they are new tags, but they don't need
> documenting and defining separately for every value of 'baz', because it
> falls into the same definition as ref, name etc., but relates the ref,
> name etc together.

This works fine as long as the 'baz', 'foo', and 'bar' values are
defined and there is a nice convention. ie: use 'ncn' for NCN national
routes, and 'lcn' for London routes etc.

What we have effectively then is a separate documented tag for each
one, but with an added piece of meta-data for anything with an
abstract concept of a route. This probably helps the editors more than
the renderers as they still need to know to show ncn routes in red and
lcn routes in blue etc.