[OSM-talk] NCN refs - consistency

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Jul 12 10:40:47 BST 2007

On 12/07/2007 10:21, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> On 12/07/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>> Suffolk to

>> > Umm, I don't understand. Isn't baz:ref a new tag? How is that any
>> > different from what we're proposing with rcn_ref?
>> >
>> > Andy
>>
>> The point is that, yes they are new tags, but they don't need
>> documenting and defining separately for every value of 'baz', because it
>> falls into the same definition as ref, name etc., but relates the ref,
>> name etc together.
>>

> This works fine as long as the 'baz', 'foo', and 'bar' values are
> defined and there is a nice convention. ie: use 'ncn' for NCN national
> routes, and 'lcn' for London routes etc.
>
> What we have effectively then is a separate documented tag for each
> one, but with an added piece of meta-data for anything with an
> abstract concept of a route. This probably helps the editors more than
> the renderers as they still need to know to show ncn routes in red and
> lcn routes in blue etc.

No, you missed the point. baz,foo,bar are choices by the mapper. They
are merely arbitrary ids to tie the group of tags together, unique only
to routes within a single way; it doesn't mater what they are called.

As I said, there needs to be an additional tag to say what kind of route
it is. In my version of this you'll see I had
   route=var1;var2;...
and
   route:var1=ncn
   route:var2=bus
etc

If you're worried about clashes with other tag names (name:language is
one) then we could do
   name:route:var1=... ref:route:var1=...
or
   ref_route:var1=... name_route:var1=...