[OSM-talk] parking garage

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Thu Jul 12 15:17:17 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 03:26:00PM +0200, Stefan Baebler wrote:

> I've found "garage" only being mentioned on somehow outdated, yet informative
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing_quick_reference
>
> Not sure what was meant by that.

  It's an ambiguous term which in the UK at least could take any of
  the meanings under "Vehicles" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage
  *except* (ironically) "Parking Garage".

  In the UK, it is never used for covered public car parking, which
  is known as "multistory parking" (or sometimes just "a
  multistory").  I agree multistory carparking should be distingushed
  from open air parking, and agree your suggested rendering "P with a
  ^ over" is good, but I think this should be a new key that varies
  the existing amenity=parking key, for "backwards compatibility".
  It should also distinguish single floor but underground parking.
  We perhaps should also have an indication of the total number of
  spaces at a location.  Any suggestion for key names for these?

  I've modified the "Open Issues" section of
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Parking to
  reflect the current situation.