[OSM-talk] Survey: How to pay the OSM bill

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 12 19:42:52 BST 2007

Hi,

> But this is exactly what people don't want to happen.  The share alike
> component means that if you use my mapping to make your book then you
> have to make your book available in the same way that the mapping was
> (or possibly the maps in your book). Effectively this protects people's
> data from being used commercially without consequence and encourages
> commercial company's that want to use the data to feed back.

I have a very different opinion on that. One of the many reasons I would
go PD as soon as practicable is that we don't have the resources to
actually enforce our license terms - we're very likely to discourage
only the small ones and let the big ones get away.

But, I've argued that in length on legal-talk. I notice that Nick Black
is still looking for people to argue the view that

> Licensing [...] our data without having to share alike is a bad thing and
> effectively an own goal for free mapping

on the legal panel, even though many seem to share that sentiment. Maybe
you're willing to do it?

Bye
Frederik