[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Fri Jul 13 17:11:53 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:02:32PM -0500, Alex L. Mauer wrote:

> As a cyclist, I don't see a difference between highway=footway,
> bicycle=yes and highway=cycleway, foot=yes.

  That's, presumably, because you don't cycle in a country where
  there is a difference.  It's to do with the standard they are kept
  to, and things like width, and likelyhood of obstacles and blind
  bends, for example.  I also don't see what the problem is with the
  current tags.  The key name is only a name, after all, and IT
  WORKS.  I seriously don't think the tagging guidelines should be
  changed, unless the new version offers something new - there's just
  too many renderers, validators, little sub-projects here and
  sub-projects there that will need to be changed, let alone the data
  itself!

> Thus,
> route=path; foot=highway; bicycle=yes (a footway where cycling is permitted)
> route=path; bicycle=yes; foot=yes (designed as a shared pathway; both could also be "highway" if appropriate)
> route=path; bicycle=yes; foot=no (a bicycle-only route)
>
> Would that address your concerns?

  But now you're using "highway" in the way you objected to before,
  and adding extra complexity to meet a need that's already met in
  the existing tagging guidelines!