[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Jul 16 11:19:38 BST 2007

On 13/07/2007 19:19, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 7/13/07, David <thewinch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With all the talk of fixing the inevitable inconsistencies and niggles
>> in map features I haven't seen much talk on the potential problems
>> that changing tags could cause.
>
> [...]
>
> I think you're spot on with everything you say, btw.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

+1

Changing amenity=blah for man_made=blah is just not productive.
highway=cycleway works, and there are thousands of them already on the map.

It's different if its a new tag, or if the tag doesn't work (e.g. route)
but changing things for the language of the tag names means we're for
ever chasing our tails.

David