[OSM-talk] RFC: geodesy=pillar

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:02:05 BST 2007

On 7/16/07, Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Anybody attending SotM should have heard Steve Chilton in "Map Room 101" and
> me, talking about those big chunks of rock in the middle of nowhere that are
> used by topographers as points of reference. For those who didn't attend
> SotM, have a looky at the photos here:
> http://ervijarico.blogspot.com/2007/05/paseando-por-un-vrtice-geodsico.html
> http://alicantevivo.blogspot.com/2007/06/los-vrtices-geodsicos.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesy
>
> Call them triangulation pillars, call them geodetic vertices, call them how
> you like. Fact is, I'm gonna upload a few thousand of them in a couple of
> days.
>
> So, I'm proposing the following tags to be applied on nodes:
>
> geodesy = pillar
> Depicts a geodetic (or geodesic) pillar
>
> geodesy:network = foobar
> Several pillars together form a geodetic network, which usually has a name.
>
> geodesy:reference = 1234
> Pillars in the same network are identified by a reference number.
>

> So, any comments on this?

I'd be interested in this. I know sources of data for both UK
Trigpoints and Benchmarks, the only problem could be the data
licensing.

http://www.trigpointinguk.com/
http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/

The OS also has a complete database of all trigpoints/benchmarks here:
http://benchmarks.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

The Trigonomy Yahoo group is the primary place for discussion of UK
trigpoints, they also have several complete excel databases that they
have transcribed from documents at the OS.

Thomas Wood
(Edgemaster)