[OSM-talk] Segments, ways and order

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Tue Jul 17 08:15:54 BST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 20:36:09 Matthias Julius wrote:
[...]
> Another solution would be to do away with segments and have ways
> reference nodes directly.
>
> (I know this has been discussed before and a transition would not be
> trivial.)

Yes i remember that, howewer in the mean time i'd like to know how to proceed.
In old posts were discussed about SVG evenodd/nonzero conventions, about a way
is an ordered list of segments, that these should be clockwise and so on.
But the db and renderers work-arounds declasses this rules, so a way *should*
be an ordered list of segments. In IT should means do not care of it.
I'd like to have this written on the wiki. For my "special" case this is
important, as i'm ready to import italian administrative boundaries from
government data (as i verify deeply the data license). This data are all
anticlockwise "areas", so segments directions is a problem. I'll reduce a lot
the number of segments to import if i assume i may have no care of that.
The same problem will be if we want to import other layers as vmap0 and so on.

Another issue on wiki is that one of the two page "Elements" and "Data
primitives" should be deleted.

	Nicola Ranaldo