[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:49:21 BST 2007

On 7/17/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
>  The OSM
> "highway" tag is defined according to UK law,

No, it's not. You might interpret it that way, but other people don't.
For instance, my interpretation of highway means "a feature intended
for travel". Therefore I'm quite happy with all the highway tags that
we have, even if "highway" isn't something I ever mention in
conversation outside of OSM.

Perhaps you'd also be better off thinking of the main values
(motorway, cycleway, residential) as being shorthand for lots of
little cycle=yes foot=no motor=yes tags, and that you can add a
specific little tag to override the assumptions. So if the assumption
is that you can cycle on a primary road, when you get one that you are
forbidden, you just override it with highway=primary cycle=no.

But please stop complaining that highway=footway doesn't fit into your
"UK law" way of doing things, when that's a false premise to start
with.

Cheers,
Andy