[OSM-talk] State of the Map - Feedback

Tue Jul 17 12:45:10 BST 2007

80n wrote:

> Some questions:
> 1 Was it useful?
> 2 Would you attend again next year?
> 3 What was good about the conference?

Yes; yes; pretty much everything.

> 4 What was bad about the conference?

Surprisingly rubbish public transport. But that's not OSM's fault.

A bunch of "free to hack" machines might have been useful for those of
us who didn't bring laptops.

The gender imbalance was pretty startling, and worse than a typical
mapping party IME. Yet much of the first morning (the first four
talks, I think) would actually have been accessible to
wives/girlfriends/partners who are vaguely interested in OSM but not
100% committed. I wonder if this is something we could develop.
Perhaps a dedicated newbies stream which dovetails with the main talks
when appropriate? I'll happily run a Potlatch workshop.

> 5 Was it good value for money?
> 6 Should it have been longer?
> 7 Was the food OK?

Excellent; no; excellent.

> 8 Was the beer OK?

Don't know. But the cider was rubbish. :(

> 9 Where should it be held next year?

Following up from q8 - somewhere near one of the 900 pubs listed at
http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/ ;)

On the one hand I think "let's be fair and spread it around a bit"; on
the other hand, Where 2.0 is always in the same country and doesn't
seem to suffer. I'd be a little anxious if it went anywhere further
afield than a Eurostar ride next year. (But maybe that's me being
insular?)

> 10 Any other comments?

More wall displays! Everyone seemed to enjoy looking at the various
OSM outputs pinned up in the corridors.

Generally - an outstanding success.

cheers
Richard