[OSM-talk] Results from license debate - assing (c) to OSMF

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 17 14:47:33 BST 2007

Hi,

> Once that is done, Steve can send the e-mail to users and get the data
> transferred, and as far as I concerned the licensing /problems/ are
> over. (but that doesn't mean the debate is over!)

I think you're misinterpreting Steve's intentions here.

What he wants to do is E-Mail the contributors and ask them to agree
that they will not be identified as the authors personally, but that
it is sufficient for users to attribute the data to "OpenStreetMap
Foundation" or something.

Steve does not intend to ask people to transfer any other rights to
the Foundation (unless he changed his mind some time after Saturday).
I.e. the individual contributors will still be the licensors. The
OSMF will not be able to sub-license the data in any way, or make
legally binding statements about what is allowed and what isn't,
because that right remains with the original authors.

I am not saying that I approve or disapprove of this, I am just
trying to clarify.

Bye
Frederik