[OSM-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jul 19 15:31:14 BST 2007

In message <469F724A.1060304 at arjam.net>
        Robert Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> * These rules can only be amended / added to by passing a vote of
> foundation members at the AGM or an EGM passed by a 75% majority with a
> quorum of 20, *and* a separate vote of current contributors also by 75%
> majority, where "current contributors" are people who have been
> registered on the site for at least 3 months and also made edits within
> the last 3 months.

Given that the articles of association themselves can be changed
by a 75% vote of foundation members with (if I am reading the
companies act correctly) a quorum of two people any requirement
for a stronger vote than that is technically pointless as it
could be revoked by changing the articles to get rid of it!

The articles can actually be amended to increase the quorum (they
currently allow the board to set a larger quorum) which would at
least partially fix things.

A binding requirement to consult anybody other than foundation
members is essentially impossible though as the a sufficiently
large vote of foundation members will always be able to remove
it again.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)