[OSM-talk] Preview: national cycle network map

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Jul 19 21:05:16 BST 2007

On 19/07/2007 15:21, Dave wrote:
>> In Cambridge it looks as though the cycle route 'ways' are separate from the
>> road 'ways', whereas in Ipswich there is only ever one way for any one
>> segment. Can you enlighten us on what is 'normal' and what you would
>> recommend?
>
> I don't know what 'normal' is. But we've been adding ncn_ref and
> lcn_ref to the existing street/cycleway ways. This makes sense to me
> as its a property of the road that the ncn route goes along it. It
> makes it possible to auto-describe the route too, giving road names
> etc.

In Cambridge I have only plotted cycleways which are separate from the
road, which is why you see all those separate ones. I haven't so far
added any cycle lanes (except contraflows and the plugs atthe ends of
"false" one way streets and similar), or places where a cycle path is
simply a footway designated for cycle use (which is a large number). Nor
(because of the deficiencies of the route tag) have I plotted the route
of NCNs where they follow a road. I have all the info though, and one
other probability is that I will use the Cycling Campaign's knowledge
about some of the details to put some much more detailed stuff in at
some stage.

David