[OSM-talk] Making editing public by default

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 04:09:02 BST 2007

Currently all user have to turn on whether or not they want to show
which edits are theirs. I believe we should change this to opt-out,
for a number of reasons:

1. Better networking: Finding another user in your local area is hard
and thus we are loosing out on opportunties for local users to connect
and promote OSM in their area

2. Better maps: A lot of new users need a bit of hand-holding. By
making their edits public, older users can help with new issues.

3. Better intraOSM communication: Related to the previous two, all
aspect of communication are better off when you can see who else is
editing near you

4. Finding potential vandals: One of the key advances Wikipedia has
made is the "show all edits" from a specific user. This allows
somebody to find a problem editor and fix all of their edits.
Currently we would need somebody with db access to do that, a serious
roadblock.

What are the downsides? Pretty much only one: Privacy. However, I
believe that as long as we ask the user upon account creation, we are
doing pretty well. Those that need/want privacy can have it and the
vast majority of users can simply go on with making a map.

What do other people think?

Corey