[OSM-talk] Making editing public by default

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jul 20 10:45:23 BST 2007

In message <11b08d4a0707200224v31b3f660q74240d8c8ab12e82 at mail.gmail.com>
        Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

> It shouldn't be difficult unset (or reverse) the "make edits public"
> flag e.g. by creating 2 accounts for each user, 1 public and 1
> private.
>
> The only thing that's difficult if not impossible is to make edits
> private after they have been uploaded.
>
> (B.t.w. I'm still not certain what it means to "make edits public".)

It means that the any edits made by that user will include the user's
display name when they are downloaded via the API. The display name
will also be shown against any public GPX traces you upload.

It also causes you to appear on people "nearby mappers" list if you
set a home location that is near them.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)