[OSM-talk] Making editing public by default

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jul 20 14:29:35 BST 2007

In message <46A09755.3070804 at eigenheimstrasse.de>
        Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:

>> It means that the any edits made by that user will include the user's
>> display name when they are downloaded via the API. The display name
>> will also be shown against any public GPX traces you upload.
>>
>> It also causes you to appear on people "nearby mappers" list if you
>> set a home location that is near them.
>
> I've added a ticket to explain the stuff better on the web page:
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/515

The current text on the site says:

  Currently your edits are anonymous and people can't find out where
  you are located. To show what you edited and allow people to contact
  you through the website, click the button below. This action cannot
  be reversed.

which doesn't look too bad to me - perhaps this would be better:

  Currently your edits are anonymous and people can't find out where
  you are located. To allow people to see what you edited, what traces
  you have uploaded, where you are located (if you gave set a home
  location), and to contact you through the website, click the button
  below. This action cannot be reversed.

What do people think?

Tom

--