[OSM-talk] SOTM07 conference recordings - licensing issues

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:48:20 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 15:42 -0600, Jason Reid wrote:
> Jon Burgess wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:20 +0100, J. Oates wrote:
> >
> >> There has been some discussion on the SOTM wiki talk page
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:The_State_Of_The_Map
> >> about my choice of CC-BY-SA-NC licensing for the conference audio
> >> recordings and whether straight CC-BY-SA would be more appropriate.
> >> I admit that I chose CC-BY-SA-NC in a little haste as I was keen to
> >> get on with the actual work of cleaning and uploading the files, and
> >> did not spend much time considering the pros and cons.
> >> I had thought that some of the conference speakers might object to
> >> CC-BY-SA and that CC-BY-SA-NC would be the safest course. I should be
> >> grateful for your opinions on the issue, and in particular would like
> >> to hear from speakers who would be happy for me to change the licence
> >> to CC-BY-SA for their particular recording. Jon Oates
> >>

> > I'm currently converting the video tapes I recorded into a downloadable
> > format. Could I extend the licensing question to those too?
> >
> > It looks like each 30 minute talks is going to be a ~500MB AVI file when
> > I've finished. About 6GB in total for everything I managed to record. I
> > don't know how I'm going to make them available yet. Either a download
> > site somewhere or maybe a torrent. Any suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > 	Jon
> >
> Either way I can offer up a server to help distribute from or to seed if
> you decide to go the torrent route.
>
> What codec are you using on the video? 500mb for 30 mins seems quite
> large IMO.

[sorry for the duplicate email, I had the wrong sender address and got
bounced by the talk list]

I was using an AVI file with mpeg4 @ 1800kbps + 256kbps mp3 audio, 16:9
720x576 content. At this level the output is practically
indistinguishable from the original DV tape. I know I could push this
down to 1000kbps or less and the output would still be good but
artifacts would start to appear which might make some details from the
slides etc more difficult to read.

I guess it depends whether we consider the file 'too big' or not.
500MB/talk is a little on the large size but would it really help that
much if this was say 400 or 300MB?

We could consider some other format or bitrates for those on slower
connections but I'm not a big fan of overly compressed blocky video.

The original DV files are 65GB!

	Jon