[OSM-talk] will we be nuked from orbit?

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:05:34 BST 2007

> 18 or 24 months ago Tom Carden said to me that OSM could be shut down
> and we could start all over again with relative, /relative/, ease. I
> still think he's right. If we started again today, it would not take
> 3 years to get 9,000 people, or design JOSM, or the code, and so on.
> All of the tools are there, we would just have to restart with a
> better idea about the license. Or perhaps restart with two separate
> licensed projects. If OSM restarted today, how would you run it?

Make the data totally public domain, or at most, a license that only applies
to underlying mapping data, not aggregated data.

I basically lost interest in mapping once I realised the current license
meant all the cool ideas I had for combining data from 3rd party sources
were basically not going to be possible.