[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:01:36 BST 2007

> The "anonymous" user of whom you speak has entered an E-Mail address and
> clicked on a link sent to that address - he was just too lazy or to busy
> with other things to note the "make my edits public" link somewhere.

Yes, sorry, I should have been specific. But unless I have a way of
contacting a person in this kind of situation then he is just as
anonymous within the community as a truly unregistered mapper.

> (1) All new users should automatically be "public".
>
> (2) All existing users should be given the following notice:

Those suggestions have my hearty aproval.

> (3) If people are against that, then the Web page needs to at least
> contain a mechanism "send message to user who last edited way/node id
> #.....". That way those people would be reachable even if they remain
> anonymous.

That too would work for me. I don't need the know the identity, just
be able to interact in some way when issues like this arise.

> Anonymous editing helps to reduce the barrier of entry, and I'm very
> keen on that. Granted, there's potential for trouble, but if we (like
> Wikipedia) store the IP address in lieu of a login name in these cases,
> you will have a good chance to "group" edits.

Kind of - we already require a signup, so the "anonymous" user has
already done the hard work. But the difference between a
well-functioning community and an anarchy is consensus, and that can
only come with contact.

> node place=hamlet name="please don't break my roads" ;-)
>
> No, honestly, this is something we also need - a way to stick "editing
> notes" like post-its onto our maps so that others editing in the same
> area can be alerted to something you want them to know.

Sure, but the editing tools need to confront future mappers with
whatever notes have been left behind.

For now, I think I'll tag the new alignment (which frankly looks too
crude to be the result of a GPS trail) as "service" so it remains
visible without impacting map usability. Its accuracy can be verified
next year once the road opens.

Dermot