[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Jul 26 10:30:33 BST 2007

On 26/07/2007 09:46, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> As has already been observed, the issue isn't specific to Potlatch
> (phew!); and edits are already 'tagged', never anonymous.

In the case of Ireland, the changes were apparently deliberate and
someone thought they were dong something useful. Any tool would have
this problem.

But the changes in Cambridge were random movements of nodes and
scribbles. I don't know for sure, but I think someone was just playing
with Potlatch to try it out, probably not realising what they were doing
was actually changing the production data, so the lack of a Save or
Commit Changes does make Potlatch more problematic than JOSM.

Undo would be great, but wouldn't help in that situation, because they
wouldn't realise they'd done anything that needed undoing. The
'immediate change' paradigm is fundamental to Potlatch, so it is hard to
see what the solution to that is. Maybe just making it clearer that you
really are changing live data.

BTW, I used Potlatch to make a quick change to a street name that I'd
got wrong yesterday. I wasn't clear: do you update with every character
change, or do I have to move the focus out of the field for the change
to happen, so if I type the new name and close the browser, has my
change happened or not?

David