[OSM-talk] Database Maintenance

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Jul 29 19:32:10 BST 2007

In message <46ACD8C0.3050303 at frankieandshadow.com>
          David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 29/07/2007 16:47, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > In message <7679c25f0707290822j73156a38oe3762d26047927fc at mail.gmail.com>
> >           "Ray Booysen" <raybooysen at rjb.za.net> wrote:
> >
> >> aaah thanks Tom.  helpful.
> >> Anyone else out there with a time estimate or a progress report?
> >
> > If I had one I'd give it to you. I don't, so I can't.
> >
> > All I can tell you is that there are two ALTER TABLE statements
> > still running (for current_nodes and current_segments). Unfortunately
> > there is (as far as I can tell) no way to monitor their progress and
> > see how far they have got.
>
> I thought you had said we'd be able to read data? If I try to download
> the area I surveyed today into JOSM, I get a "Database offline for
> maintenance" message.

I turned off the reads at lunchtime today because (a) the disks on
the database server were so busy that the reads were taking forever
so there was a hug queue and (b) I was hoping that reducing the reads
would speed up the schema changes.

The good news is current_segments has finished, so we're just waiting
on current_nodes now.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)