[OSM-talk] Database Maintenance

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 12:20:12 BST 2007

On 30/07/07, Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen at vrijschrift.org> wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:42:46 +0200,
> Nic Roets wrote:
> >
> > > Then the procedure SHOULD be -
> > > Run a backup of the on-line data to a separate machine.
> >
> > I side with Tom on this one. There's not too much wrong with taking
> > the whole server down for a day or two. My JOSM session has been
> > patiently sitting and waiting.
>
> There is a lot wrong with just taking the server down. We really have
> to be more professional. I really can't understand that you don't see
> what's wrong with it...

A lot more money might help... it's hard to be "professional" on a
shoe string, with volunteers who would probably like to be not up all
night as they probably have to go to work at some point.

And just to put this in perspective. My highly "professional" bank has
this habit of shutting down the website for maintenance every 3 months
or so - they have the benefit of being able to time it during the
middle of the night.. and a comparatively infinite IT resources. My
pension provider only lets you access your account during office
hours.

Sometimes things have to get shut down, because doing anything else is
a complete nightmare. It's a little inconvenient sure, but if it means
it all works great the rest of the time then so be it.