[OSM-talk] Student project ideas?

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Jul 31 08:11:41 BST 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 01:15, Matthew Newton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A lecturer I know (Computer Science) is wondering if there are any
> things in OSM that could be used as the basis for student final
> year projects. The projects run from about October to April, so it's
> not a quick fix for anything, but maybe something like investigating
> routing might be one? Any ideas I can pass on? Can't guarantee anything
> good will come out of them, of course, but it might be useful.
>
> Things (not necessarily good things!) I can think of quickly:
>
>   Map routing (Dijkstra, etc) that gives useful driving directions

I think routing with OSM Data would give a nice student final year project.
If you think of routing a good thing would be to combine efforts with the
GpsDrive Project. We already have part of the infrastructure which will be
needed for routing. The current SVN-Snapshot (hopefully until October the
next release) will have osm+Mapnik support. So the Data of OSM is already on
the machine in the postGIS Database for accessing. For further details or
questions you can either ask on the GpsDrive-mailinglist or send to me
personally(I'll forward then if necessary).

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm