[OSM-talk] New "bigmap" script for map tile stitching

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jun 4 10:32:19 BST 2007

Hi,

    at

http://openstreetmap.gryph.de/bigmap.cgi

there's a script that gives you a section of the map by displaying
map tiles (tiles at home or mapnik) in the web browser. As opposed to
the various "slippy maps", this one is less convenient to browse (no
drag or mouse wheel operation - have to click links to move the map),
but suitable for printing or saving. The map can be of any size, so
if you want to save a HTML file with all of London on zoom level 17
(and your browser can handle it)...

You can also download a simple Perl script that will create a
combined PNG file comprising exactly what you're seeing in the
browser. (While it would have been possible to create the PNG in the
CGI application and have the user download it, I shied away from that
because of traffic volume. My bigmap script never deals with tile
image data itself, it only assembles links.)

Since the script (a) is in the public domain, (b) causes almost no
traffic to run and (c) can be downloaded from within itself, do not
hesitate to make cool modifications and offer them on the web, or run
your own copy. (It's only a single Perl CGI.)

Bye
Frederik