[OSM-talk] My problem or everybody's problem?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:30:18 BST 2007

On 6/6/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > [segments from A to A]
> > (This must be another of those those that Potlatch isn't checking when
> > it creates new stuff...)
>
> Hm, I'm a bit bemused if that's the case. The Potlatch UI doesn't let
> you draw a line from one point to itself - it treats that as a
> double-click.

I've long since ceased to be surprised. I used to beleive  you
couldn't generate two segments between the same two points in JOSM.
Turns out you can with the right sequence add/delete/merge nodes. You
can get into just about any state if you try hard enough.

> (I guess the exception to this is if you draw a looping way then
> remove all the points in the loop, but that should be fairly rare.)

Rare maybe, but not impossible and the database should not be
permitted to contain invalid data. Anything you can think of will
happen, eventually.

Does the server code check this case? Ideally the *database* should
have forbidden this, but barring that, the server code should check
everything in every path, don't say "it's not possible" just because
you can't think of a way.

> I'm not doubting you, but if anyone could provide steps to reproduce,
> I'd be very grateful.

Can't run patlatch so can't help you there.

Have a nice day,