[OSM-talk] urban surveying speed - can it be estimated aspopulation per hour?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jun 6 22:46:56 BST 2007

Actually, in the work I've done I've been suprised to find a very close
correlation, to the extent that I can now predict how long I need to allow
to map somewhere.

Not counting the time to get to and from the start of the survey, I reckon
an urban area (village upwards) takes me roughly 45 minutes per 1,000
population, and the same again on JOSM, i.e. one and a half hours per 1,000
in all. Time doing the survey is almost always the same as building the
graph and uploading the results.

Cambridge took me 150 hours in all and is somewhat over 100,000. Ely, which
I've almost finished now, is 15,000 people and has taken somewhat over 20
hours so far, 10 hours surveying and 10 hours data processing.

This is on a bike, using a dictaphone, and mapping to a consistent level of
detail which includes street names and features like schools, post boxes,
pubs etc.

David