[OSM-talk] multiple overlapping ways or snipped up ways?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:10:41 BST 2007

On 6/9/07, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
> So… should I somehow be using multiple overlapping ways (I hope not), or
> should I be snipping the ways up whenever a tag changes and leave it to
> OSM_render to sort out the rendering side in due course.

There's notthing intrinsically wrong with having a segment be part of
multiple ways. It's a but cumbersome, true, but not impossible (you
know the trick to select the way you want when there are multiple in
JOSM? Middle-click then hold down control).

If you don't like that then just snip the way and leave it to the
renderers. They're slowly getting smarter and in time this problem
will not be so bad.

> A Final question; if a road has a local cycle route name (4A for example), a
> national name (N1 for example) and also possibly a regional name ('suffolk
> coastal route', 'R21') then should I put all of these under the same ncn-ref
> tag separated by a semi-colon ('4A;N1;Suffolk Coastal Route') or should we
> be inventing a new tag for local cycle routes ('lcn_ref' for example) and
> regional cycle route ('rcn_ref' for example).

To be honest I think it's crazy to have a tag with so much intrinsic
meaning as ncn, it looks useless outside the UK. There should have
just been a cycleroute tag that people could extend. In any case, the
way to extend it has not been standardised so you can do whatever you
feel is appropriate...

Have a nice day,