[OSM-talk] Rejected: Landuse=green_space

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon Jun 11 18:04:08 BST 2007

Anthony wrote:

> Is that what this tag is proposed for, identifying people's lawns, or
> islands of grass in the middle of roads?  I thought the intention was
> for larger spaces (the example was about 8400 square meters in area),
> and islands of grass in the middle of roads can have their own
> designation if enough people care to identify them.

I think landuse=grass would apply equally for either a private lawn, or
a larger grass space common to (say) an apartment complex.

> The ownership factor is important for that, but I wonder whether or
> not it's more appropriate to tag ownership features separately.

Definitely the access key should be used.

> Some
> places even you would designate as a "park" aren't open to the public
> and therefore wouldn't be an appropriate place for a picnic, right?

No, any place /I/ would designate a "park" would be open to the public,
though I guess the concept of a "private park" isn't outside the realm
of possibility to me.  "park" certainly suggests more than a polygon of
well-kept grass to me, though

-Alex Mauer "hawke"