[OSM-talk] RFC: Scout Camp

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jun 12 10:26:46 BST 2007

At 11:53 PM 11/06/2007, Adam Schreiber wrote:
>On 6/11/07, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
>>At 10:40 PM 11/06/2007, Adam Schreiber wrote:
>>>I like the name change for singular camp grounds(KOA, National Park),
>>>but what about the case of mapping the actual camp (Scouts or Church)
>>>that in actuality contain many camp grounds/sites?
>>
>>Do you mean, for example, the overall campsite is a forest area and has multiple small or large areas to put up tents?
>
>That's one possibility.  However, let me use the example of the Boy
>Scout camp I grew up going to.  The camp itself is rather large with
>many outlying wooded areas and activity areas.  Within the core of the
>camp, there are several camp sites.  Each troop would inhabit it's own
>site or share one with another troop for the week.  Each site had its
>own set of tents, trails and latrines.  While the overall camp would
>be labeled Horseshoe Scout Reservation, camp sites would have their
>own names like Dan Beard, Boonesbourgh, Leni Lenapi, Forester, etc.

I've just mailed a philosophical response on the issue of micromaps of facilities but I think the practical solution here would be to use the tourism=camp_site tag (as currently defined) on all the individual camp sites as they are spread out over what sounds like a very large area (in European terms!).  Then name them either "Dan Beard" or "Horseshoe Scout Reservation - Dan Beard".  These will currently render out, I think, with a nice little tent icon and the name.

I sometimes think it would be nice to have a tag to render out ad hoc names of important local significance where the is no suitable tag.  For example: name="Horseshoe Scout Reservation", force_name_render=medium.  I've come across a similar issue in Yorkshire where areas on hills rather the hill peaks themselves are named.  name="Ilkley Moor", force_name_render=large.  Just a thought.

Mike