[OSM-talk] A big map of the UK and an urban area

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:52:54 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 06:28 -0400, mike wrote:

> I've run into a few issues with osmarender, so this is not yet as good
> as I'd hoped, but I've uploaded the files produced so far to:
>
> http://www.bristolbeat.co.uk/maps/
>
> I'm unable to easily render a UK map with this system as the data set
> is too large for the API, so I suggest for now you use Jon's UK map.
>
> I'm running a different render right now, but have to leave for glasto
> in a few hours so I've pretty much run out of time.  I hope to upload
> a couple more files before I go, with an improved render style.
>
> The PDF did not look good to me, so I've provided png's and the source
> SVG files.
>
> cheers,  mike

The latest version of the maps I made with Mapnik are below. Both are
7017x9933 pixels and are optimised for printing at A1 size.

Map of UK (3.2MB)
http://www.jburgess.uklinux.net/uk-A1-300dpi.png

Map of Ipswitch UK (4.4MB)
http://www.jburgess.uklinux.net/ipswitch2.png

To produce the second map I needed to increase the size of the roads,
text and symbols in the mapnik style otherwise the features look too
small when rendered at 300dpi.

	Jon